Google will be making changes to Gmail’s security settings and this may affect the way you send
email from your Davicom units.
In the past, we recommended that Gmail’s “Less Secure App Access” setting be used in the
Google account used to send emails from a Davicom unit through Gmail servers. The possibility
of using that setting will be discontinued by Google on May 30th, 2022.
The new recommended method to send email from your Davicom units is to enable Two Step
Verification (2SV) and the “Sign in with App Passwords” method.
NOTE: this method can be used to send email from a Davicom unit without the 2nd step in
the 2SV process.
Before being able to see the “Sign In With App Passwords” fields, you must first enable 2SV in
your Google Account Security settings. You will be sent a Verification Code to your email or cell
phone during this set-up process. Once you’ve accessed your account, you will then see the
“Sign In With App Passwords” fields.
Activate 2-Step Verification
- Open your Google Account.
- In the navigation panel, select Security.
- Under “Signing in to Google,” select 2-Step Verification > Get started.
- Follow the on-screen steps.
- Do not select any devices.
Sign in with App Passwords
Create & use App Passwords
- Go to your Google Account.
- Select Security.
- Under “Signing in to Google,” select App Passwords. You may need to sign in. If you
don’t have this option, it might be because:
- 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
- 2-Step Verification is only set up for security keys.
- Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
- You turned on Advanced Protection.
- At the bottom, choose Select app and choose Other. Name it Davicom xyx, then > Generate.
- The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.
- Copy and paste it into the Email Password field on your Davicom unit.
- Save a copy in your records.
- Tap Done.
You can generate different passwords for different devices, all in your same Google
Account. Be sure to give them names that will allow you to keep track of them. Also, once
the password is generated by Google, make sure you keep a copy somewhere in your
records because it will not be visible after you enter it into your Davicom unit.
App Passwords revoked after password change
To help protect your account, Google revokes your App Passwords when you change your
Google Account password. To continue to use an app with your Google Account, create a new